LIVONIA, Mich. – Livonia Police are investigating a situation involving a fifth-grade student who brought marijuana-infused gummies to school and shared them with another student.
Both were sent to hospital as a precaution.
The incident happened at Grand River Academywhere less than a month ago, Local 4 News reported that a kindergartener brought a Jose Cuervo mixed drink to class and shared it with other classmates.
Lily: Kindergarten student brings Jose Cuervo’s mix to class at Livonia and shares it with 4 other people
Krystle Morton has two children who attend Grand River Academy. She said she was in disbelief when the kindergarten incident happened and hoped nothing like this would happen to her children.
Then, on Tuesday, May 11, she received a voicemail explaining that her son had a piece of marijuana-infused gum.
“I automatically started crying and was like hyperventilating,” Morton said.
Later, she learned that an 11-year-old girl had brought the gummies and shared them with her son. Morton believes the child’s parents are at fault, but still believes the school is responsible for making changes moving forward.
Dr. Whitney Minnock, pediatric emergency physician at Beaumont royal oakreported treating more children who accidentally eat marijuana edible in recent years.
“Sometimes they come into the hospital, and they can be unresponsive and need, you know, life support,” Minnock said. “Some children have seizure-like activities; it can be very bad.
Minnock encourages anyone who may have marijuana-infused foods or candies in their home to lock them up so children can’t get to them. Minnock said the edible looked like marijuana-free food and children could consume considerable amounts of it multiple times.
Minnock also recommends having conversations with children.
In a letter to parents, the school sent out resources on how to start those conversations:
“I never thought I needed it,” Morton said. “He’s so young, like I think when they’re in high school. Now we had this conversation, and now I had to have this conversation with my eight-year-old son and my 12-year-old son, because now look what happened to your brother.
The GRA said it was reviewing its policies and procedures to see what change was needed in that same letter to parents.
Copyright 2022 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All Rights Reserved.